View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Monday, rain, and two wheels. 
Test Rider

Post Monday, rain, and two wheels.
So I left the bldg this morning to be welcomed by rain.

Oh well, since moving here from Illinois I knew I could handle whatever Muh-there nature can pitch my way. So I'm off to Carlsbad from Downtown at 6 A.M. Gear is an AGV 2 piece rain suit, under armor cold weather gear (2 piece), jean, wool shirt, and Gerbing heated (not waterproof) gloves.

Rain wasn't too bad but the horrible part was the lack of reflectors on the northbound 5 near the 8 exit. The orangle glare from the street lamps blinded the God. Anyhow, I still maintained good speed, passing all cars except the Expedition who decided to pass (of course whom was later passed by me). I mototred along and came across a Harley dude and gave him the thumb up as I passed him. Minor lane splitting but I made it to work. I pulled the seat off and replaced it with a trash bag. Wet gloves and socks but I had an extra pair of tubes in my desk drawer. The chicks at worked loved that I roughed it and I got all the attention. S***, I didn't even need coffee but someone bought me a cup, and a cake!

The outro...

The wind picked up a tad from this morning. I headed southbound on the Fizzle and was blown away from the gusts of eastbound wind. Again, used to the Windy city so no big deal but nevertheless dangerous. It was just a reminder. On this excursion the sucky part was the pools of water pocketed here and there! Luckily I had cars ahead of me so I had ample time to prepare. Never touched the front brakes but the rears' as well as the Ducati throttle/on off switch I was able to slow down accordingly. I was behind a service truck and he hit a big pool then like a light switch everything turned light grey! I couldn't see S***! It took about 5 long seconds to get vision back in order and I was fully awake.

As I approached the exit closest to PB, the pools became more apparent and the lane splitting began. To add more technicality, prior my fuel light kept coming on and going off. At this point it the bright, steadily amber light was a reminder that uh, I need to get home.

I thought it was bad ass to lane split and run through a mini pool on the S4 and have my boots completely soaked. I felt like a champ. All I could think of was how would an XR 650 handle in this weather? Maybe a lightweight with the wind compared to the weight of a mostro. I must say, the Pilot Roads have 10k on them and are the most versatile tires I've ridden on without sacrifice. They handled great. In any event, I made it downtown and am sippin Chamomile and typing. Now only if I can get my dog to take a S*** in the rain!

R.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:58 pm
Site Moderator

The thought for today is: Thank Goodness For Good Raingear!

It was pouring this morning, from the time I left North Park at about 0700h to Temecula (which is where I'm working these days).

I've got the Drizabone waxed cotton duster and overpants, and they work great. They are a bit of a PITA to put on and take off, but I always get there dry at least from the ankles to the wrists and neck. I bought a new pair of Held waterproof/warm gloves at the show in Long Beach yesterday, and they did very well on their maiden voyage this morning. My feet were soaked, though. My boots are about 6 years old, and are no longer water resistant much at all.

The ride home wasn't too bad at all. The 15 to the 163 to the 805 -- a few puddles and a couple spots of rain, but not too much and traffic was light and moving well.

PhilB

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:33 pm
Event Organizer

I drove my truck, but I didn't have an umbrella so I got a little wet walking to the office door. That sucked.

'05 K1200s

Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:42 pm
Test Rider

I'm glad you took her out Phil. I dig that. Now I can see how you've accumulated mileage.

Prior to yesterday I'd never thought about getting waterproof boots nor gloves. Yup, they're on my short list now.

Glad you made it home safely.

G, I hope you didn't squint your eyes when the rain hit your head! LOL

Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:23 pm
The 1000 Posts Desmo Club!

I rode up to LA from my place last Thursday night. Although it didn't rain, I was freezing my balls off. Had to keep it in 4th & 5th gear just to generate some heat from the motor. I was going to cage it but left work too late so I figured I could lane split if needed. Was a good time but I should've wore some warmer clothes.

'08 Ducati 848 w/Leo Vinci pipes
'97 748 Red Bull Replica - Sold
'00 Aprilia RS250

Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:00 pm
Site Moderator

I'm glad you took her out Phil. I dig that. Now I can see how you've accumulated mileage.

Prior to yesterday I'd never thought about getting waterproof boots nor gloves. Yup, they're on my short list now.

I haven't had a car for my own use for quite a few years. Indeed, it's now been over a year since my wife had a car either; we're both on bikes only these days. Our daughter has a car we can borrow once in a while if we really need one. But I'm on the bike, every day, rain or shine, and now for 60 miles each way, which should put it over 200K by the end of next year.

PhilB

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:30 pm
Test Rider

prince_ruben wrote:

I haven't had a car for my own use for quite a few years. Indeed, it's now been over a year since my wife had a car either; we're both on bikes only these days. Our daughter has a car we can borrow once in a while if we really need one. But I'm on the bike, every day, rain or shine, and now for 60 miles each way, which should put it over 200K by the end of next year.

PhilB

That's bad ass dude. I have a car but the Monster gets ridden much more. My wife as well rides everyday on her '74 CB 200.

Rock on man. :pirat:

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]