View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Mesa Grande/Palomar Sat 30 December 
Test Rider

Post Mesa Grande/Palomar Sat 30 December
Ducatisti,
went out on the R yesterday and almost crashed twice on Mesa Gande. I had just gotten past the straits and had made that sharp 15 MPH right hander by the house on the hill on the right Everything was fine until I came up to that cross over of sorts, same place as I saw the cow pies last time I was there, anyway I was approaching and in the shadow of the trees was some ice right before I normally downshift and brake. The bike kind of speedwayed and I thoguth for sure I was going to highside but then the bike came right and I made the corner.
You might be saying to yourself right now, "Hey dumbass, you said you almost bit it twice, what, you didn't learn your lesson after that first idiot move?" Well my friends yes I did but here's the thing....more ice on the twisty part of the road just ahead! I was in first gear idling the bike and it still almost put me on my ass because of the frost.
Palomar had some "damp" areas and I wasn't going to play after my two moments. I knew it was a lot less covered than Mesa grande but I still didn't play. I went up to Mothers for some hot chocolate and ran first ger down the mountain and headed home.
Bottom line...don't be thinking, "I know this road like the back of my hand and if there are no objects clearly visible I'm ok." You all seem like a smart group and I am humbled to know some of you. Just wanted to share what I found with you.
Oh yeah and by the way, it was cold out there even behind the wind screen!

Have a great new year and thanks for being such a great group of friends to a complete dork like me.

Best,
Spike

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:59 am
Veteran Member

Glad you kept your R upright. :grin: How puckered up did these two incidents get you?

~A

o6 749s "Giada"

Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:05 am
Profile YIM
Test Rider

I was actually pissed off at myself for being complacent. Here I am I a guy that has been riding for almost my entire life and I go out and don't even think about any ice or frost on the road in the middle of winter. Yeah I know we live in Southern California but still my head was up my ass when I should have had my head in the game.
It's all good, no harm done but it woke me up.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:09 am
Test Rider

No S*** about Mesa Grande. I ran up 78 to Dudley's this morning for a quick ride and decided to take Mesa Grande - Black Canyon Rd back to the 78 to come back home. I missed my turn on Black and caught up to a harley group and decided to stop and take a pic or 2. 3 fly boys on Yamaha's blew past and I mounted back up. After missing a couple huge loads in the road I caught up to the Yam'ys with their hands up. One of them went down on some ice, not too bad and he was ok, but if they wern't there I'd be buying some replacement parts.

Other than the shaded stretch of road, it was a great day for a ride.

Happy New Year

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:23 pm
The 1000 Posts Desmo Club!

... After missing a couple huge loads in the road ...

Who poos in the middle of the road?

Some people. Makes you wonder ...

Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:42 pm
Test Rider

Greg_S wrote:

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Thu May 31, 2007 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
The 1000 Posts Desmo Club!

SloM3Chicken wrote:
Greg_S wrote:

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

I am amazed!

it took six months for a reply to that comment.
I thought it was hilarious. But that is just me I guess. Sometimes you just gotta accept humor for one.

Seems like I am accidentally in the middle of the republican convention around here sometimes ...

Thu May 31, 2007 7:49 pm
Test Rider

Went through Mesa Grande Sunday on my R and it was freaking cold about 3:15 or so. The entire north end was wet and with DOT race tires that were cold, I think I went through there the slowest I ever have yet. The tar snakes are bad enough w/o ice (or in my case cold wet pavement). After the bridge I gassed it going up the hill and got a little sideways on the tar snakes which slowed me down before the downhill, thank goodness.

Highland Valley was pretty good though (watch out for construction) and Old Julian was better yet.

749eR

Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]