View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 696 Front / Rear Sprocket Change..... 
Test Rider

Post 696 Front / Rear Sprocket Change.....
Reading the formus and talking to friends about bikes now that spring is here and the good ride days are increasing. One thing that has come up a few times has been Sprockts and the number of teeth that on on each (Front and Back).

Two questions come to mind and if someone would throw their $.02 worth I would appreciate it.

What is the benefit to changing out Front and Rear Sprockets to a
lower number of teeth?

Why or what type of rider would be doing this?
(Commuter/Canyon or Track)

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:26 am
Site Moderator

Going to a smaller number of teeth in the front sprocket (typically from 15 stock to 14) or to a larger number in the rear (typically from 39 stock to 41) gives you more acceleration, at the expense of lower top speed and higher/buzzier revs on the highway, and possibly a bit lower gas mileage. This is typically done by people who ride tight twisties, and can be good in town as well.

Going the other way (less often done) gives you smoother highway ride, and better gas mileage (esp. on the highway) and may give you more top speed (if your speed was gear limited), at the expense of some acceleration. This is typically done by people who ride longer distances. I went this way with mine; switched the rear from 39 to 37, which fits my riding patterns better.

On the track, the best ratio depends very much on the track, how tight it is, how long the straights are, etc., and will vary with the bike's characteristics. People who race will experiment and figure out the best sprocket sizes for each track, and change them as needed. Sounds like that's something you probably don't need to be worrying about yet. After you've done a few track days and gotten a feel for how it works, you can try some other ratios.

OTOH, the stock sprockets were chosen by the engineers as the best overall, so you should probably leave them alone unless you have a specific reason to make the change.

PhilB

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]