View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Help!! 
Test Rider

Post Help!!
Hello, Let me start by stating I am not the most knowledgeable on all the technical “stuff” that it will take to do the task ahead of me. However, isn’t this how we learn?? This is also why I was referred to this site, to get solid answers to my questions. I have a 2000 748r that just blew a bearing on one of the rods. I had just paid the local shop over $3k on the 12k tune-up. New rockers and so on and it blew in less then 300 miles. Yes, I feel violated. (I am not rich, and this hurt…) But enough people have told me this is simply something that could just have happened, no ones fault… This being put behind me, I am wondering whether or not to rebuild the “R” or to simply do a motor swap and move on. It appears I can get a 996 motor for the same or less then rebuilding the “R” would cost. My questions are: what can be salvaged from the “R”. Can I use the shower injectors? Can I use the same wiring, computer, and chip? Most important, what are the Danger spots I am unaware of? I do have access to a ex-Ducati mechanic that can do the fine tuning if and when needed. I know I am in the dark right now but I am hoping you all can help shed some light on this project for me. Thank you.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:56 am
The 1000 Posts Desmo Club!

I think you should ask the shop that just did the $3k of work on it what can be switched over. The questions you are asking are pretty model specific and I would suggest that the ones that work on them with regularity are going to be the most in tune (not a pun) with that bike.
In addition, if you still trust them to work on your bike, I would see what kind of deal they may make with you for continued work on your bike - partially because of the "coincidental timing" of the failure with the aformentioned $3k tune.
At'sa won'a bigg'a tune'up!
Of course, so goes the perils of riding around on a "R" bike - especially one that is 10yrs old.
If you really like riding the R series, sometimes you have to buck up a little more than your buddy on the base model - just how it is.

I hope you are able to get answers more informative than mine, but I think the shop, or your buddy that is a Duc mechanic are better sources than here. Otherwise, I predict periods of silence, followed by more silence on this thread.
No offence to the forum, but anything more than "how do I change my oil" or "can I fix my turn signal" will cause the forum to lock-up
LOL
Good luck, I feel for ya bro!

Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:11 am
Moderator/Event Organizer

Wasn't there a thread about how to put gas in the tank? That was pretty technical...

Busy Livin.

'06 ST3S ABS
'12 Multi 1200S

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:47 pm
Pro

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:57 pm
Test Rider

No offence to the forum, but anything more than "how do I change my oil" or "can I fix my turn signal" will cause the forum to lock-up
LOL

I resemble that remark (see my recent turn signal thread).

Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:00 am
Profile WWW
Desmo Veteran

<snip>
Of course, so goes the perils of riding around on a "R" bike - especially one that is 10yrs old.
If you really like riding the R series, sometimes you have to buck up a little more than your buddy on the base model - just how it is.
<snip>

Yikes. The R we still have will be six this year. I am scared to ride it now.

:idiot:

Maybe once later this year, just like last year. 1 day a year. :++:

:grin: jk, ours works great, as it always did.

g/l on the repair!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
The 1000 Posts Desmo Club!

SloM3Chicken wrote:
<snip>
<snip>

Yikes. The R we still have will be six this year. I am scared to ride it now.

:idiot:

Maybe once later this year, just like last year. 1 day a year. :++:

:grin: jk, ours works great, as it always did.

g/l on the repair!

Yeah Kenny,
But you have knowledge and connections to get this handled. Still, you know the r series parts are much more difficult to come by, and as a result are expensive compared to the base series of bikes, regardless of the model year.

Just how it is.

Kind of like how my ego says Corvette ZR1 (approx 120k -think R/RS series Ducati), but my budget says Modified Base model vette (a whole lot less - think 4 valve base 1098)
This is why the only duc I own is a nice cheap (albeit slo) air-cooled Supersport. Cool, and cheap - So I can have my other toys. I would hate to have so much wrapped up in one that I couldn't have my others. That would suckass ...

Of course, depending how much money u gots, mebbe you can afford it. Not for me to say. But there is a difference between being able to buy the bike, and another story in being able to afford to use/maintain it.

That is why I have a Chevy instead of a Maserati. I they both cost the same to buy, but 10k clutches and 3-5k tunes for the Mazer turned me toward the nice "white-trash barbie" Corvette.

Besides,

Kenny, you could ride around on a cow turd and make it turn quick lap times so your assessment is not exactly the norm, now is it?
:grin:

To the OP
So, what ever happened to this thing?
I think Paul has a RS model he had for sale down at GP. the bike was super nice and was going for about 8k or so from what I remember. I bet he still has it around somewhere ...

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]