View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 How do you put gas in your retro monster? 
Test Rider

Post How do you put gas in your retro monster?
I just bought a 2000 monster 750 last week. I tried to put gas in it, but the nozzle at the gas station hits the bottom on the tank, so the vapor seal on the pump won't seal and I can't get gas. Any one have tips for puttin gas in my DUC? :cry:

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:30 am
Site Moderator

Sometimes I have to just hold the vapor seal myself, pull it back so that it "thinks" it's in a deeper tank. Sometimes I can get it propped so that the nozzle is in the tank and the vapor seal is wedged behind the gas cap and held back that way. You've just got to fiddle with them until you figure out the way that works for the pump you're at.

PhilB

Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:49 pm
Test Rider

Thanks for the help philB. I couldn't get any gass today. I tried 2 gas stations an even had my buddy try to see if it was me or the tank/ pump combination.

I'm gonna have to use the faithful gas can for a gallon tomorrow. Then fiddle with it some more once I've got gas in the tank. Right now the light has been on for about 20 miles. I just need to get gas in the tank, lol.

It's pretty fustrating being 15 minutes from home with low gas. But between the dang tank design and vapor seal which makes getting gas a task equal to rocket science and a little bit of luck. I think I'm gonna play around and see if I can create some kind of tank adjuster attachment, that gives me the seal and 1-3 extra inches of clearance so I'm not beating the bottom of my tank up everytime I need gas...

Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:41 pm
Test Rider

i dont even use the seal, i just pull it back and watch it so that i know when to stop.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:14 pm
Site Moderator

Actually, I think I have seen some sort of gadget for sale like that -- basically an attachment you pop into the gas hole that rises up a few inches so you can push the nozzle in and fill up easily. Of course, you have to figure out where to keep it the rest of the time, but it looked like a useful idea.

PhilB

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:46 pm
The 1000 Posts Desmo Club!

U must not be from CA.

1. Pull the black plastic nozzle seal back as far as you can.
2. put nozzle into tank about 1"
3. Pump gas until full - you need to watch the tank as it fills.
4. Smile and ride.

There is not a design flaw with the bike, and you don't need that silly attachment that Phil was talking about.
Just do like the rest of the motorcycle riding Californians and add gas as described above.

Good luck
:roll:

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:27 am
Test Rider

Nope, not from Cali. I just started riding a week ago and never owned any kind of motorcycle before. My friends CBR and R6 didnt have this problem so We were all clueless. Thanks for the help.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:36 am
Test Rider

Post Gas Tank device
Odd that you mention this problem. I was watching somethingon Discovery last week, think it was Orange County Choppers, and they were promoting a device that has been made just for this problem. It is a small yellow thing that goes in the top of the tank that prevents getting gas on your tank when filling. it also lifts the nozel up about 3"

Here is the site : http://www.mccuff.com/

They are $19.97 each.

best of luck and be carefull on the SoCal highways.

Daxon

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:25 am
Test Rider

Just pull er back. Think of it as the gas pump never having a circumcision.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:08 pm
The 1000 Posts Desmo Club!

No way I am going to ride around with that thing on my tank, nor have it smelling what ever I use to hold it. Puller back!

06 M620 (dark)
Yup, just one (1) if I had an ex-wife, she would've taken her's with her.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:05 am
Profile WWW
Test Rider

No way I am going to ride around with that thing on my tank, nor have it smelling what ever I use to hold it. Puller back!

I understand. I was just sharing what little piece of information i had. I have no where to put something like that and find the "puller back" method to work just fine

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]