View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Electrical Failure: M696 
Test Rider

Post Electrical Failure: M696
So over the last three weeks i have been having issues wth my electrical system. I had thought i may have been due to the fact that I installed my HID system. Got a buddy of mine that had the tools to do it properly.

So we tore apart the light assembly and checked all of the wiring. It was all good but we cleaned it up with a soldering iron and heat shrink. Once that was done, it was on to the system.

We started by looking at the rectifier. did some checking and found that of the three phases of power, only two were at the proper output. The third pase was putting out about 4.8 to 5.3 volts instead of the required 13-14 volts. In a haste, i went and bought a new rectifier. only after i installed it, did i realize it was not the rectifier.

I metered the output off the generator and realized that my Monster 696 had a bad generator. I took it in to the guys at GP and they now have a stator on order for my Monster. Just under 4000 miles on her too.

The problem was that my battery was running my bike and was not getting any electrical support from the generator. So if anyone is having a problem with their electriacal system, feel free to hit me up. I can explain in detail.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:52 am
Moderator/Event Organizer

Good to hear. Sometimes there are gremlins like this in production. I know that Yamaha and Honda had numerous issues with the company that supplied their Stator and Rectifier electronics for years.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The 1000 Posts Desmo Club!

glad to hear you got the situation "rectified" ...

Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:50 pm
Test Rider

Post Rectified????
So I got a call from GP on Friday telling me my bike was ready.......but however that due to my "Non Ducati Performance Part installation" (HID) I voided the Warenty on the Electrical system. The Regional Technical Representative from Ducati USA told me that the HID's were the cause of the Stator Failure.

I am having a hard time swallowing that Pill. Has anyone had any issues with generator failure and not had HID's Installed?

Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:05 am
Test Rider

Post Re: Rectified????
Daxon wrote:
So I got a call from GP on Friday telling me my bike was ready.......but however that due to my "Non Ducati Performance Part installation" (HID) I voided the Warenty on the Electrical system. The Regional Technical Representative from Ducati USA told me that the HID's were the cause of the Stator Failure.

I am having a hard time swallowing that Pill. Has anyone had any issues with generator failure and not had HID's Installed?

Not personally...

Unfortunately warranty covers OEM components only so your system would necessarily be in OEM configuration to be covered under warranty. With that said, your HID kit would void that warranty because it no longer preserves the OE configuration that leads to the stator. Now the burden of proof falls under the dealership/Ducati USA when it comes to evidence that in fact the HID kit was the source of the stator failure. I'm sure there were assumptions made, but because the HID kit is the non-OE component that can be considered the point of failure. In theory they need to replace the HID kit (and stator at your cost) and then retest the system to determine if the stator is still failing, at which point if it still does they will reinstate your warranty and replace the newly failing stator.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:53 pm
Events | WSMC #880

~always put the stock stuff in to claim a warranty issue, otherwise, if there is a cause for DNA to rule out and OEM failure, they will... Probably the case with most manufacturers

Former WSMC#880

749R
SC1000
Husky TC250
Aprilia RS50

Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:00 pm
Moderator/Event Organizer

I am running the same series HID kit in my 999s. No problems with the setup.

But yeah, I would have snuck the normal light bulb into the bucket before I sent it in.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]