View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Calling all 999 w/Ohlins owners 
Test Rider

Post Calling all 999 w/Ohlins owners
Still dialing in my '06R and I am aware of how to set suspension up to a point, This bike has a strong tendancy to stand up when trail-braked.

Much more so than many other bikes i have or have had and yes there are many variables here but I gather that this model is especially touchy when it comes to this issue. Have any of you seen this on your bike, if not then I'll try some more front preload. Also it takes quite a bit of bar pressure to hold a line coming down palomar at high speed. No problems under acceleration which makes me think I have a little too much front-end weight/not enough rear squat. WhaCha think?

B.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:16 pm
Moderator/Event Organizer

Post gotcha covered
Sportbike Suspension Tuning by Andrew Trevitt is a great read, They have a trouble shooting section in the back that helps out alot with issues like this.

I have the older 04 999s but the problems are still the same.

Chassis Resists leaning while trail braking::: Insufficient Rake

Increase rake by lowering rear ride height, reducing rear preload, lowering the fork tubes in the triple clamps, or adding front preload

obviously you will need to experiment. Take the bike out to your favorite stretch of road or a trackday and work on making simple changes, one at a time then recording what the bike felt like after you make the changes.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Test Rider

Suspected as much.... Thanx for the info. Please excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure if other versions of xx9 have adjustable fork rake eccentrics as mine does, I will prob. get around to tightening up the wheelbase/rake due to most of my riding being tight and twisty stuff but I thought I would ask around and see what the general consensus is
regarding this. I would appreciate any comments from folks who have direct experience.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:12 pm

actually you have the radial mount front end and most likely your forks are an upgraded version of mine. Have you checked to make sure you have the correct springs front and rear? Dan Kyle Racing is a great source for all things Ohlins. You can google his company's name for more.

I am racing this coming month with my 04. I have found that running the steering angle with the great rake is much more stable and with a 190/55 rear you want around the 200mm range. I was comfortable with 35mm front sag and 25mm rear sag for the preload with springs for my weight with gear (200lbs). I had the clickers middle of the board and found I only needed 3-4 clicks stiffer for Autoclub Speedway. The verdict is still out on Big Willow as I had rebound issues and tucked the front in turn #2. I am most certain I will be able to get the thing setup now with the help of a buddy that raced this bike for 4 years. Let me know if you want a Hot setup for Big track. I have the exact info from a racer who lap'ed in the high 20's.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Oh, I am running Michelin Power Race. Older tires and in Medium compound. I believe the tire height is a big difference from Michelin to Dunlop and that would make a big difference in your geometry setup.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Test Rider

I too, am using power race med. Did some changes tonight that might yield some good results: shock gives me 30 mm of sag with 25 mm of thread showing above the locknut, a little more compressed than is perfect but prob. okay rate wise. Front set at 35 mm with 6 turns back from full preload, again, a fair amount of preload but prob. okay spring rate. I set the tank/seat unit all the way forward to try to reduce front end lift exiting corners and this motor/tire combination slides very predictably while leaned and then lifts as I come back to full upright. Hell of a lot of fun! Also have about 5 mm of fork tube showing. this seems like a reasonable place to start and I will know more this Saturday. The wildcard here is that the bike had about 1k miles on it when I bought it with at least 1" tread stripes unused so the previous owner prob. flat spotted the tires slightly but that will not last much longer! Once again.... thanks for all the info, this being my first Duc.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:27 pm
Test Rider

What do you think caused you to lose the front at the track? Too fast rebound? Too much weight transfer to the rear, or just too much throttle too early. The reason I asked is that I lost the front going up Palo (but saved it) exiting a slow tight hairpin, I was right on the edge of the front and rear with the rear spinning which is not a real issue but losing the front made me nibble a hole in my undies! Looking at these Race 2ct tires makes me wonder if they are close to overheating judging by the gummies and I also wonder if profile (too round and not triangular might be some of the problem.) New rear spring on the way and methinks it might be time for DOT race and maybe slow down a little!

Mon May 11, 2009 5:48 pm

I think that you are running to hot on the street. For one. Another would be that Pilot Power 2CTs are NOT race tires. Pushing them as though they are is a mistake especially on a road that doesn't have excellent grip. A standard road will never have the grip a well prepped track can on a warm day.

Having said that. If you have the rear setup too soft you may have gotten the rear end to squat under acceleration and taking too much weight from the front end. This See-Saw effect would unload the front and let the front slide. You could also simply have started to pull the front wheel up riding in the power band and the front started to lose traction with the ground as it normally would. There are a lot of factors in play. If it were me, I would take the bike back out to the same stretch and recreate the event with less speed and see if I could feel something happening that I didn't like. I would check for that See-Saw effect mentally, and I would test out the squat or anti-squat of the bike by exiting and entering corners under heavy braking or leaving on heavy acceleration.

Tue May 19, 2009 7:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Test Rider

Appreciate the input but the tires are power race CT med/soft. I raised rear ride height to about 289 mm on the strut, went to an 80 kg spring, dropped the front 4 lines, about 6 turns of preload, the rear spring change looks like it will require re-valving of the shock, 28 lbs. front tire, 35 in the rear gets rid of most of the oversteer but only when the tires are hot, when cool the rear tire carcass seems to have a different profile from the front, my guess is the front is more triangular than the rear and that is the cause of most of this handling B.S. Yeah....I agree with you about the front sliding, I think I just have to remember that this bike makes big torque down low (what fun)! I am going too fast for the street, it is so tough to slow down but you're right... track time. 180 rear tire next time and maybe a Pirelli or something, has to be DOT race tho because this bike will melt Qualifiers!

Tue May 19, 2009 8:48 pm

There are Power Race's and then there are Pilot Power 2CT's. There is no "Power Race CT". The new D.O.T. race tire is now the Power One and is amazing from what I hear.

Well it sounds like you are pretty dialed in on your bike's adjustments now. I wouldn't worry too much about setup. 35lbs in the rear seems a little high but every tire is different. I would recommend running a 190/55-17 on the rear as the bike was designed to run that size and I have had great success with the proper sized tire at the track in the last two visits. The 180 is o.k. but they are much smaller in overall diameter and require major adjustments to get the bike just right. But, if you happen to find a good geometry setup, write the specs down and save them for when you have to flip from 190 to 180.

Good luck with slowing down. lol. Never worked for me. I get too bored so mainly I stay out of the canyons unless I am on a borrowed bike which forces me to chill out and respect someoneelse's ride.

Sun May 24, 2009 6:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
Test Rider

Right you are... they are not 2 ct , just power race soft front/medium rear.

I found out my problem..... This rear wants 22-24 lbs. pressure, front about 28...... made all the difference in the world!!! Thanx for the help.

B.

Sun May 24, 2009 9:18 am

Good luck with your tuning. Once I have my 999 fixed I would be happy to ride with you. Can you make it out to Willow Springs for a trackday?

Mon May 25, 2009 1:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]