View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Rear Brake Feel. 
Moderator/Event Organizer

Post Rear Brake Feel.
Coming from a 2006 R6 (New model style) to my 999, one of the first big differences I noticed was the numb feeling rear brake. It seems as though it takes a lot of effort to operate it and even though you can make the rear lock, you don't really feel progression before it gets to that point. This is after I serviced the rear brake and changed the fluid with proper DOT 4. My buddy has the 1098 model and has the same feel on the rear brake.

Is there anything that can be done to improve rear brake feel? I know there will be many who will tell me that you don't use the rear brake. I don't care who you are, if you start running a good pace at a track and you find yourself braking late, you will use both breaks in some combination. I want to improve brake feel along with my suspension and geometry setup before the next trackday. Any help would be great.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
The 1000 Posts Desmo Club!

The rear brake needs to be weak or it will lock up at a faster pace.
When you brake hard the rear wheel gets light and it takes less force to modulate the wheel
You can try a different type of brake pad if you want (I use carbone lorraine), but really, I would just get used to it.
If you want some real rear brake action may i suggest you try one of harley's touring motorcycles :grin:
Speaking purely as a Harley rider that just happens to have a duc ...

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:47 pm
Test Rider

I think you should investigate brake pad compounds. My s4rs front brakes are fairly grabby so I will try to get a harder compound. Dont know if it will work for sure. Good luck! Tom.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:52 pm
Test Rider

Kevin does H.D. build 2strokes! I thought so.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:55 pm

I am going to pick up some Ferodo Pads and see if that helps. I am not saying I want to easily lock the rear tire, but I want more feel from the rear brake.

I will stop riding before I buy a Harley...... Honestly.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The 1000 Posts Desmo Club!

I am going to pick up some Ferodo Pads and see if that helps. I am not saying I want to easily lock the rear tire, but I want more feel from the rear brake.

Why the hate? They are just another kind of scoot.
I have had a variety of bikes including my current HD and Duc. They are all fun, have their place and, it is like having a stable of different, beautiful women.
Frankly, my Ducs have been some of the most troublesome bikes I have ever had. They are underpowered vs the japanese bikes, they break for stupid reasons, they cost a mint to work on, and unlike my HD, the Duc requires specialized (read:not at home) tools to do the work.
Just an observation. Have you priced a full Termignoni system for your bike yet?
it will run you about $3500 - the entire exhaust for my M3 was 1400 (dinan), so what gives wid dat?
Just get used to it if you have that love affair with your 999
your (can't do at home) valve adjustment will end up costing you about a grand.
My HD doesn't even need valve adjustments, ever.
And I can work on the HD at home at my leisure. No stupid things in the way. Just nice and simple - like it should be. Not that it EVER breaks down.
But,
They are both beautiful bikes The 999 I had handled as well as any sportbike I have ever had - even if I would get passed on every straightaway at the track just to have to pass back again.
So,
give a little, get a little.

My HD is also beautiful, super reliable, by far my most comfortable ride, and the girls love to go for rides on it (never happens on my duc, or my yammy). And more why I ride it, is that it has a certain 'old-skewl" charm (and model-T handling :grin: ). It can be fun to roust about on.
So, like my Duc, the HD certainly has its place in my stable.
Never could understand the juvenile attitudes such as "I only like this one, the other ones suck because they aren't like me ...", but hey, that is your loss, not mine.
Ultimately, I am probably wasting words, because "If I have to explain, you will never understand ..."

Sincerely,

A Duc rider that happens to own a HD.

PS Your brake works fine the way it is. I suggest you learn to ride the bike the way it is. Many do fine with it, and it is designed well already.
Quite often it is the Indian, not the Arrow ...

Just sayin'

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:13 am
Pro

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:37 pm
Event Organizer

Damn Kev, now tell us how you feel about your iPhone. :roll:
If you like Harleys, more power to ya. But not everybody does and that's allowed in America. Hell, scooters have two wheels and you wouldn't catch me riding one of those EITHER. Christ....

And, on topic...I didn't even know my bike HAD a rear brake until this thread. :egrin:

'05 K1200s

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:58 pm
Events | WSMC #880

as far as the rear brake thing, I've only known changes in feel only occur with changes in the pads. I'm not sure if there is anything mechanically you can do in short of changing the master out, etc...

Shane post up on what you come up with on the rear brake response, I'm curious..

Former WSMC#880

749R
SC1000
Husky TC250
Aprilia RS50

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:46 pm

Nothing on the rear brake so far. From what the "Old Salt" Ducati guys tell me, they plan out the bike to have a shitty rear brake. Light rear brake means less chance of locking the rear tire. They have used it like this for years long before a slipper clutch. Now that you can run better technology like a slipper and sintered grip pads with braided lines for better progression, I wonder if they have improved the bike's brakes on the newer models. I would love a stronger rear brake. Yes I can lock it up, but I can also make it slide to steer.

Tue May 19, 2009 7:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Test Rider

Post Re:
Sliberty wrote:

***LIKE***

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:45 am
Test Rider

Post Re: Rear Brake Feel.
Kevin...I too am a Harley guy that happens to own a Duc and vice versa....

Every bike has it's own calling...It's own statement...When I want twisties, I ride the Duc, when I want bike-o-lounger...I get on the hog...

I hope this isnt a place purely for Ducati snobs! Riding motorcycles is the best therapy there is and an extension of who we are....

'nuff said.

Josh

Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]