View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 WPM 2009 Diary and Pics 
Moderator/Event Organizer

Post WPM 2009 Diary and Pics
Well, I was lucky enough to be able to attend the DOC World Presidents Meeting in Bologna last week (September 21-28) and had a great time and was the recipient of some great hospitality from Ducati as well as other clubs from around the world.

I will post a diary of the daily events with a few photos from each day in this thread, if you want to see more photos or get some more info / dirt you'll have to come to 454 Tattoo for the Oct North County Bike Night for the slide show / debriefing.

Busy Livin.

'06 ST3S ABS
'12 Multi 1200S

Last edited by Bomaizey on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:24 pm

Arrival in Bologna from Denver (I was there for a wedding on Sat) via Atlanta / Paris. It was a long day, left Denver at 7:30am Sunday morning and arrived ontime in Bologna at 9:00am on Monday morning. They do not make coach seats for people taller than 5'7"...

There was a meeting scheduled for 10:00am at the hotel for check-in and bike assignment, I made it to this on time and as was the theme for the rest of the trip everything was running about two hours late... I met Marco Rimondi the head of the DOC and was assigned a Multistrada.

The days events started at 1:00pm and included lunch at the Ducati Factory, a Factory tour (no photos were allowed but I snuck a couple), and a Ducati museum tour then dinner back at the hotel at 10:00pm. This was the only event that we did not ride to, bus transportation was provided.

Here are some photos from the day:

Busy Livin.

'06 ST3S ABS
'12 Multi 1200S

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:43 pm

Today started at around 9:00am at the bikes, the plan was to group ride to the Lamborghini factory / Museum, eat lunch, and then hit the Ferrarri Museum and go to the track for a mini motard race and a bbq dinner.

I skipped the mini motard race since everything was running about two hours late, and I was tired of riding in a group of about 40 - 50 bikes, just getting through a toll booth on the Autostrada was an event that took about an hour what with smoke breaks and all... From what I heard there were plenty of crashes at the track and I probably would have been quite handicapped on the little bikes so it was a good decision to skip this. I headed downtown and had dinner at a nice place that stayed open for as long as I wanted to stay...

Pics:

Busy Livin.

'06 ST3S ABS
'12 Multi 1200S

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:58 pm

Day Three actually started on time at 8:00am, we had a long ride on the Autostrada approx 2 1/2 hours to get to Venice to catch a boat for our tour of the city and some of the surrounding islands. It was a long group ride on the Autostrada with so many different skill levels and riding styles I stayed towards the back and watched the mayhem. We actually stopped at the side of the Autostrada for around fifteen minutes for what I think ended up being a smoke break, I decided to avoid the group rides whenever possible after this day. We rode to the Ducati dealer in Venice then took a bus to the boat landing.

The boat dropped us in Venice for a couple hours of site seeing, then we headed for Buranea Island for lunch which was by far the best meal of the trip, excellent seafood, then we went to Muranea Island for a glass blowing demonstration.

I ditched the group at a gas stop (these took at least 40 minutes) and rode back with a couple guys, one of which had a GPS and said he could get us back... We got lost when his GPS battery died and when we got to the hotel the group had beaten us there...

Pics:

Busy Livin.

'06 ST3S ABS
'12 Multi 1200S

Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Day four was to be a ride towards Florence on some scenic roads with lunch and then another scenic ride towards the Imola track where there would be a meet and greet with the Team Xerox riders, appetizers, then a ride to dinner.

I skipped the morning rides and lunch, after the previous days group ride I was ready for a break so I stayed back and ran through the streets of Bologna and got a workout in, at least what I could do in the hotel gym (I know I'm weird). I planned on meeting up with the group at the Imola track for the meet and greet and then dinner, which is what I did.

Haga was a complete ass, he acted like the last thing in the world he wanted to do was be signing autographs and taking pictures, don't think he ever cracked a smile. Fabrizio was exactly the opposite, happy to smile for photos and hung with the group for a bit afterward.

Pics:

Busy Livin.

'06 ST3S ABS
'12 Multi 1200S

Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Day Five was a Friday and this was a "free" morning with the official WPM presidents meeting in the afternoon and the "gala" dinner that night. Many of us used the morning to ride out to the Ducati factory store and make our requisite purchases, and a few others rode out to the NCR facility to take a look around there.

The first incident (actually second, there was a trip and fall that required stitches at the Ducati museum) came on the NCR ride, one of the riders from Canada was hit by a van during the ride out, he sustained a seperated shoulder and three cracked ribs. I was glad to have been spending money at the factory store...

The presidents meeting in the afternoon started off well, they talked a bit about the economy and the effect it is having on the company, the new 796 Hypermotard (under 10K), a new "GS" type of a touring bike that will be coming out in 2010 (will have traction control), and a new Corse logo. It quickly turned in to a bitch session when they started discussing the WDW for next year, the Italians were protesting the Sept. date and wanted it moved to June, it appears that the Italians can't save money or vacation time, they burn both up in August... After the meeting the consenses of those in the know thought they would probably move the WDW to June, stay tuned...

The gala dinner was no more gala than any other dinner with the exception of the Ducati suits in attendance as well as a band playing live background music. The wine seemed to be flowing pretty well at this dinner though, and since we didn't have to ride back to the hotel (the dinner was at our hotel) I was partaking along with everyone else. At some point during the meeting it was mentioned by the Malaysia DOC president that we should be sister clubs (I truly believe that all of the clubs would have wanted this since Julie was in attendance) so with a toast and many hugs it came to fruition, DOCSD and DOC Singapore are now sister clubs, what this will mean for the future I have no idea. In the photos you will see a guy with a bandage on his ear (he's the one that fell at the museum), his name is Sven and the President of the Singapore club, our new sister club.

Pics:

Busy Livin.

'06 ST3S ABS
'12 Multi 1200S

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:55 am

Day 6 was to be spent at the Imola track for most of the day for qualifying for Sunday's SBK race, afterward there was a tribute to Troy Bayliss in the Imola square and dinner afterwards.

I decided to skip the qualifying and head to downtown Bologna for a look around and also to try and find some protein bars (I'm an addict). I planned on meeting the group at the track and riding to the Bayliss event with them, which is what I did. The only glitch was that I forgot my ticket to the races so I had to wait outside with the locals till they let the public in after qualifying was over, a good opportunity to make new Italian friends...

Troy Bayliss is pretty much a rockstar in Imola, I couldn't believe the throngs of people and the paparrazzi, you would have thought princess Diana was there... He also couldn't have been nicer, a few of us had the opportuntiy to meet him and get something signed (my helmet) and he was very gracious to everyone that he came in contact with.

Pics:

Busy Livin.

'06 ST3S ABS
'12 Multi 1200S

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:13 am

Day 7, the last day was the SBK races, then turn in the bike keys and dinner that night.

The races were great Ducati went 1-3 in the first race and 1-2 in the second. After Max Biaggi crashed out and it was expected that the Ducs would take 1-2 in the second race I took off to beat the traffic, its pretty crazy riding out there even for a seasoned Mongrel like myself... and I couldn't imagine all those people heading out and the mayhem that would surely ensue trying to ride back with a group.

At dinner that night we found out that there was an incident after the race where one of our group was struck from behind in a traffic circle in a hit and run. A broken ankle was sustained, mainly due to the fact that he was wearing tennis shoes...

It was truly a great week, I enjoyed every part of it. I won't be eating pasta for awhile but I'm ready for some mexican food!! Hope you enjoyed the photos / description, if you want to see or hear more keep an eye out for the October NCBN at 454 Tattoo...

Photos from the last day:

Busy Livin.

'06 ST3S ABS
'12 Multi 1200S

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:30 am
Site Moderator

PhilB

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:19 pm
Pro

You blasted out of Indy Moto GP, never to be heard from again, till now. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Hey, who is that beautiful girl? Looks like an Italian honeymoon to me more than a MC event!

Looks like you guys had a blast!!! Thanks for sharing.

B

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:52 pm
Pro Rider

WOW Tony !!!! Your lucky bastard :grin: . Thanks for sharing

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:39 pm
Events | WSMC #880

Awesome Stuff Tony! Can't wait to hear the details at 454!

Former WSMC#880

749R
SC1000
Husky TC250
Aprilia RS50

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:45 pm
Test Rider

Tony thanks for the pic.s looks like much fun! Old man Tom.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:33 pm
Site Admin

Awesome Stuff Tony! Can't wait to hear the details at 454!
+1!

Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:36 pm
Profile WWW

As I predicted earlier in this thread the dates for the WDW 2010 have been changed to June 10-13 at Misano. Mark your calendars...

Busy Livin.

'06 ST3S ABS
'12 Multi 1200S

Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]