View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Hello there! 
Test Rider

Post Hello there!
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and I thought I'll spend a couple of lines to introduce myself.

My name is Fred and my wife and I fairly recently moved from Germany to California, San Diego. I'm riding motorbikes for approx. 25 years - the last 5 years exclusively Ducati. I started with a Monster 1000S. I travelled throughout Europe and Australia. I also enjoy track days, although I haven't had the chance to go to any race track for the last 1 1/2 years. I still own a Monster S4R as well as a 999s but so sadly had to leave both of them behind due to bizarre California emission laws (European VIN numbers won't let them pass customs.... aaargh). So, both are having an indefinitely loooong Winter nap in a secure and warm German Garage. Too bad...

Now, being in California for 10 months there is no way that we are driving a car only. In Germany, we call cars 'cans' or 'tins' and knowing what car drivers loose out when driving twisty roads, I guess there is a reason for it. So, we had to get a bike again, which put us in the fortunate position to reconsider different manufacturers. We thought about a BMW S1000RR, Suzuki GSX1000, Fireblade, etc. etc. .... we even considered Harleys. However, taking some of the bikes on a test ride or sitting on various bikes in a show room, there simply was no emotional connection. The GSX1000 drives well - buy hey, so what? There where no sparks ... it is like licking a polished broomstick compared to tasting a flavorful Italian ice cream. It just isn't quite the same...

So, this brought us straight back to Ducati five/six weeks ago and I was towing with the idea of getting the Streetfighter or Monster 1100. In the end, we got a red Monster 1100S (the IOM78 kit included). My wife and I completed the full California Motorcycle License two months ago and since we got the Monster she rides the bike every now and then. Today, the Monster has about 1600 miles on the clock and it becomes increasingly difficult keeping my wife on the back seat. To cut a long story short, we couldn't resist the temptation at the Ducati dealer and ordered a Arctic White M796.... ohhhhhh well :-)

We are still exploring the local areas.... Ramona, Julian etc. and we hope to meet up with you for a ride. Besides, we are planning to go to Willow Springs in August. Maybe some forum members have similar plans?....

Well, that's it for now... glad to be a new member of this forum and looking forward to meeting all of you at some point.

Fred

Last edited by Firefly on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:23 pm
Test Rider

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Black
(08/09 - 04/10)

-=Rowel=-

Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:10 pm
Pro

Post Re: Hello there!
Firefly wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and I thought I'll spend a couple of lines to introduce myself.

My name is Fred and my wife and I fairly recently moved from Germany to California, San Diego. I'm riding motorbikes for approx. 25 years - the last 5 years exclusively Ducati. I started with a Monster 1000S. I travelled throughout Europe and Australia. I also enjoy track days, although I haven't had the chance to go to any race track for the last 1 1/2 years. I still own a Monster S4R as well as a 999s but so sadly had to leave both of them behind due to bizarre California emission laws (European VIN numbers won't let them pass customs.... aaargh). So, both are having a loooong Winter nap in a secure and warm German Garage. Too bad...

Now, being in California for 10 months there is no way that we are driving a car only. In Germany, we call cars 'cans' or 'tins' and knowing what car drivers loose out when driving twisty roads, I guess there is a reason for it. So, we had to get a bike again, which put us in the fortunate position to reconsider different manufacturers. We thought about a BMW S1000RR, Suzuki GSX1000, Fireblade, etc. etc. .... we even considered Harleys. However, taking some of the bikes on a test ride or simply sitting on various bikes in a show room, there simply was no emotional connection. The GSX1000 drives well - buy hey, so what? There where no sparks ... it is like liking a polished broomstick compared to tasting a flavorful Italian ice cream. It just isn't quite the same...

So, this brought us straight back to Ducati five/six weeks ago and I was towing with the idea of getting the Streetfighter or Monster 1100. In the end, we got a red Monster 1100S (the IOM78 kit included). My wife and I completed the full California Motorcycle License two months ago and since we got the Monster she rides the bike every now and then. Today, the Monster has about 1600 miles on the clock and it becomes increasingly difficult keeping my wife on the back seat. To cut a long story short, we couldn't resist the temptation at the Ducati dealer and ordered a Arctic White M796.... ohhhhhh well :-)

We are still exploring the local areas.... Ramona, Julian etc. and we hope to meet up with you for a ride. Besides, we are planning to go to Willow Springs in August. Maybe some forum members have similar plans?....

Well, that's it for now... glad to be a new member of this forum and looking forward to meeting all of you at some point.

Fred

Welcome Fred!

All the way from Germany, that's cool.
Look for NCBN (North County Bike Night) announcements or the LIBN (Little Italy Bike Night) under "Social Gatherings". At either you can meet quite a few of the Ducatista community.
Maybe even hook up for a ride.

Hope to meet you and your wife at one of the events. I usually frequent the NCBN; frequently held in Solana Beach.

bill

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:02 pm
Test Rider

Post Re: Hello there!
Firefly wrote:
Hi guys,

not exactly what happened.... :grin:

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Black
(08/09 - 04/10)

-=Rowel=-

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:05 pm
Moderator/Event Organizer

Welcome! Hope to see you at NCBN on 7/29 in Solana Beach.

Busy Livin.

'06 ST3S ABS
'12 Multi 1200S

Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:42 pm
The 1000 Posts Desmo Club!

06 M620 (dark)
Yup, just one (1) if I had an ex-wife, she would've taken her's with her.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:46 am
Profile WWW
Test Rider

"King of the Mountain"
2010 848 Pearl White
2006 CBR600RR-Wifey

Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]